- Exterior Walls; Firewalls;
- Galvanized & similar type roofing;
- Roof Decks (where sufficient slope to drain exist with no ponding of water);
- Canopies (where sufficient slope to drain exist with no ponding of water); etc.
Waterblok Acrylic Waterproofing Compound is especially effective on concrete hollow block (CHB) walls. CHB is highly porous, prone to cracking and soaks up water like a sponge. The CHB is usually covered with a mortar plaster which has the tendency to crack creating cavities for water to seep through into the CHB causing leakage inside the building. The same is also the case with parapet walls. Using a geotextile as reinforcement the Waterblok Acrylic application resists cracking and even if cracks occur, the reinforced waterproofing material will still span the crack leaving the wall impervious to water.
The area to be waterproofed is thoroughly cleaned and all dust, dirt, rust, moss, lichen, etc. removed. Waterproofing must be applied on a totally clean and dust free surface as dirt, dust or other elements will affect the adhesion to and penetration of the waterproofing on the concrete surface. This holds true irrespective of the waterproofing material used.
The waterproofing scope of work and application are as follows:
- The entire area is primed with a 50/50 Waterblok Acrylic/water mixture and allowed to dry for 2 to 4 hours. The use of the primer assures optimum penetration of and adhesion to the concrete substrate.
- All construction and other joints as well as cracks are to be sealed by embedding strips of geotextile (width dependant on type of application) in an undiluted coat of Waterblok Acrylic Compound over the joint and immediately covering it with another thick coat of Waterblok Acrylic Compound. Allow 3 to 4 hours drying before next application.
- The first undiluted coat of Waterblok is applied and whilst still wet, tissue geotextile is embedded in it by firmly pressing down and removing all and any creases. 100mm overlaps are allowed at geotextile joints. This process is repeated until the entire area is covered with a Waterblok/geotextile application. It is allowed to dry for 3 to 4 hours.
- This is followed by application of 2 to 3 coats of undiluted of Waterblok Acrylic Compound.